Monday, August 19, 2019

"Refreshments or Five Course Meal?"

Ahoj!

So we left the MTC Monday morning and got the Czech Republic on Tuesday afternoon. We were all so stoked to leave and finally get to the field. Our first day in Prague they took us on a Prague Walk and gave us a tour of the city. It was crazy actually being in the place we've heard so much about. The next day we got our area and trainer. I'm in Jičín with Sestra Jarvis (more on that later #teaser). 3 out of our 5 elders got sent to Slovakia right off the bat. So they spent 9 weeks learning Czech, and now they're in a country that speaks Slovak. They'll do great though. 

Mějte se hezky, Sestro Johnson! I'm gonna miss our comp studies that turned into either ranting about how our teacher hated us or watching the worms and snails, our deep doctrine discussions, our residence hall spikeball games, and everyone freaking out about how unified our companionship was. You're gonna kill it in Pardubice!

Now for the real reason y'all are on my email list...the Czech Republic!

My new comp is Sestra Jarvis. Not gonna lie this first week has been really rough. Jičín is tiny, which is cool, but I dont understand anyone and all I have is my comp to talk to. It's super lonely and has been way tough. But it'll get better. Our apartment is attached to the clock tower, which is kinda cool. The members here are way chill. They're super helpful and super awesome. I can't wait to understand them so I can be their best friends. The Czech translation for the church happens here in Jičín, so there's a lot of ward members who speak English as well as Czech. So I've been able to talk to a few of them which has been way cool. 

Some things I've noticed/learned so far:
-If you say the English word for "peaches" it's a really bad word in Czech. Good thing the Czech word for peaches was one of the first words I learned in the MTC (Shoutout to Starší O'barr)
-Candy in the bishop's office is a worldwide thing
-When Czechs have refreshments at church events, they bring out a full on meal
-Czechs have a hard time keeping commitments, and they have the weirdest excuses (Russian girlfriends that may or may not exist that keep them from committing, not wanting to give up the tradition of drinking beer with certain foods, etc)

Overall it's been a pretty intense week. A lot of ups and downs. But I've noticed that the quote "forget yourself and go to work" really does work. The times when I've had the most fun so far are when we're out finding and talking to other people, when I can forget about how hard things are and just help others. This gospel is so true, and it's worth every hard time if it means that people are coming closer to Christ. 

Love you all! Have the best week!
Sestra Lewis

P.S. Whenever people read my name tag, they automatically say "Levis." So Sestra Lettuce is back and better than ever hahaha!















No comments:

Post a Comment

"Welcome Home!"